Thursday, August 4, 2016

Langkawi - The Hawaii of Malaysia (Langkawi Sky Bridge and Cable Car)

The Langkawi Cable Car and Langkawi sky bridge are some of the most popular attractions in Langkawi. You take the Langkawi cable car up to an observatory area and walk on the sky bridge. If you are wondering what to do in Langkawi, this should go on your top list. The skybridge and cable car is about 18 km from Pantai Cenang where I stayed. I was thinking to go wild and rent a scooter (RM40/day) but I changed my mind. Given that I have never operated a scooter, I better save my life to travel the world. I ended up hiring a taxi for RM15 one-way.
The taxi dropped my in front of the Oriental Village, where one can purchase tickets to ride the Langkawi Cable Car and walk the Langkawi sky bridge. With a backdrop of the soaring Mat Chincang Mountains, the Langkawi Oriental Village itself was pretty spectacular. It resembled a cross between a charming French village and an old-style Chinese town, with small duck ponds and quaint bridges.
A ticket for the Langkawi cable car and Langkawi sky bridge was RM30, and the ride to the top took 15-20 minutes. Once at the top, I was greeted by many stalls selling souvenirs, snacks, and drinks. I then climbed a set of staircases that cuts through a thin forest to reach the observatory deck above. Once on the top, the view was heartbreaking. One can see the whole island, including Tarutao Island in Thailand in the distant. At the side of the observatory deck is the Langkawi Sky Bridge, a steel bridge suspended across Mount Mat Cincang and a neighbouring mountain. Walking across this bridge was a fantastic experience and offers a different viewpoint of the island and sea towards the north.
Alternatively, there are also tours that will take you here and surrounding areas (Oriental Village, Langkawi Cable Car, Langkawi Sky bridge, Crocodile Farm, Black Sand Beach, and Langkawi Wildlife Park) for only RM55, picking you up from your hotel. I should have done this. I hiked around the sky bridge and its park for awhile before making my way down to see Pantai Kok, a quite beach near Telegah Harbor. I originally did looked into staying at Pantai Kok. It is a nice relaxing beach, but one would have a hard time finding cheap local food around here. There just aren't as many options as Pantai Cenang, nor are there any night life.
After a sunset stroll on Pantai Kok, I was tired and made my way back to Pantai Cenang, where I had another night of feasting, and another set of 30 chicken satays. I loved Malaysian food, and think Malaysian chicken satay is the best. I savor every last bite, as it would be my last set of Malaysian food since I would be leaving for Thailand and Koh Lipe in the morning.
I highly recommend Pulau Langkawi to everyone. It is like an underrated and less developed Hawaii, and most of my friends back in U.S. never heard of it. Also, most tourists in Asia flock to Phuket, Koh Samui, or Bali, and never paid much attention to Langkawi. A path less taken indeed. Do try to spend at least 3 days here. There are waterfalls, many beaches, and many nearby islands that I did not get to see due to my short stay. If you looking for what to do in Pulau Langkawi, put the Langkawi cable car and sky bridge on a must visit.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7364212

No comments:

Post a Comment